Follow-up: Reports and Analyses
Boston Answer Coalition Rally Monday, 5:00, Park St. MBTA (more here)
Reuters, “Fact Check-Photo shows 2018 Cuba May Day march, not 2021 protests,” 14 July 2021, exposed misreporting
of “anti-government demonstration,” one of many mislabeled, misidentified photos in reporting on July 11.
What will November 15 bring?
The partial selection of posts from Walter Lippmann’s CubaNews leading up to the demonstrations being planned for Monday, November 15, in Cuba (see below) give some useful evidence of the disruptions and media war going on since the July 11 protests. Planned for the day when Cuba opens up for tourism, the new school year begins, and the IFCO/Pastors for Peace Friendship Caravan lands in Havana, they illustrate the troubling failure of many of those who previously looked with a critical eye and grasped the role of U.S. government subversion as part of its embargo/blockade (El Bloqueo) regime change policies and practices.
Two pieces from this collection in particular clarify the U.S. role in instigating these disruptions: The US Army Training Circular TC18-01 on Unconventional Warfare cited and linked in the piece on “The United States government is the true organizer and promoter of the provocation mounted for November” and the recent postings from the Cuba Money Project.
The training circular on Unconventional Warfare begins with an edited quote from JFK from his address at the West Point graduation ceremony in 1962 warning about a new type of warfare and the need to combat it, “war by guerrillas, subversives, insurgents, assassins; war by ambush instead of by combat, by infiltration instead of aggression, seeking victory by eroding and exhausting the enemy instead of engaging him. It preys on unrest.” And then, without any shame or self-consciousness, the manual outlines and presents a guide for undertaking precisely those approaches. Its final two sections are on supporting “An organized effort by some portion of the civil population of a country to resist the legally established government” and on “Subversion: Actions designed to undermine the military, economic, psychological or political strength or morale of a governing authority.” Note the informative results from a search for “subversion” in the document.
Posts at the Cuba Money Project including a breakdown of $6,669,000 in grants recently awarded and Tracey Eaton’s November 1 presentation at the virtual symposium on “The Road Ahead: Cuba After the July 11 Protests” lay out how “The U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department have been helping to finance Cuba’s internal opposition for decades.”
Some of the recent posts on CubaNews on groups.io pertaining to the demonstrations planned for November 15, from late October on:
- TeleSUR: US Finances Subversion in Cuba Through International Awards by Anti-Imperialist News
- REUTERS/Marc Frank: Ahead of planned protests, Cuban government and dissidents wage ‘battle of ideas’ by Pete Link
- Inside Cuban dissidents’ November 15 plot: Unpacking the Archipiélago Facebook Group – by Arnold August posted along by Judy Robbins
- NBC: A resolution on solidarity with Cuban protesters divides Democrats
- CNN: Cuba is cracking down on critics. This unlikely dissident says he’ll protest anyway (on Yunior Garcia Aguilera)
- RESUMEN: Cuba: In Yunior, We are Seeing the Creation and Performance of a Counter-Revolutionary
- PL: Cuban Justice Ministry ratifies unlawful nature of march
- Roll call on house support/criticism of 11/15 demonstrations – Miami Herald story
- The United States is organizing a color revolution in Cuba for November 15 by Alan MacLeod
- *outstanding* AMERICAN UNIVERSITY/Helen Yaffe: Cuba After the July 11 Protests By Walter Tillow
- *stunning!* Cuba after the July 11th protests – Wm LeoGrande
- *definitely* RESUMEN: Cuba: The November 15th March, Homemade or Imported?
- US State Department Openly Supporting November 15 subversive demonstrations in Cuba.
- THE MILITANT: Cuba mobilizes to oppose US-gov’t organized call for Nov. provocations
- RESUMEN: “Popular Demonstrations” Denied in Cuba
- TeleSUR: US Threatens Sanctions if Cuba Prosecutes 15N March Organizers
- PERIÓDICO 26: Cuba Offers Further Evidence of Links between Illicit March Organizers and U.S. Based Mercenaries
- MODERATOR’S NOTES – Regarding November 15 by Walter Lippmann
- *very important!* CUBADEBATE: The United States government is the true organizer and promoter of the provocation mounted for November (+ Video) by Walter Lippmann, see esp. US Army Training Circular TC18-01 on Unconventional Warfare, 2010
- RESPONSIBLE STATECRAFT: William LeoGrande: US and Cuba on a Collision Course
- REUTERS/Marc Frank: Cuba-U.S. tensions mount over pending protests on Communist-run island
- TRUTHOUT: Deadly US Sanctions Are Exacerbating the Pandemic Globally
- Taking page from regime change playbook, it’s back to confrontation with Cuba – by William LeoGrande
- The Biden Administration’s Sanctions Review Is a Joke
- *excellent* MINT PRESS NEWS: Private Facebook Group that Organized the July Protests in Cuba Plans Bigger Ones Soon
- CUBA MONEY PROJECT: The democracy business in Cuba is bustling
- GRANMA: How does the U.S. finance psychological actions against Cuba?